The following is a convenient checklist of things you and your family can do to be more sustainable in the area of transportation. The list begins with the easiest things and progresses to actions that are harder or more costly.
1. Use public transportation whenever possible.
2. Consider telecommuting and/or carpooling.
3. Walk or ride a bike for local errands.
4. Walk your children to school; start a neighborhood “walkers” group for school children.
5. Consider combining errands and shopping trips with neighbors.
6. Keep your car tuned, check tire pressure regularly and change air filters regularly to improve gas mileage.
7. Don’t “warm up” your car before driving; this wastes fuel, pollutes and can damage your vehicle. The best way to warm up a car is to drive it.
8. Clean out your car: carrying unnecessary loads reduces gas mileage.
9. Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration, hard braking) can lower your gas mileage.
10. Plan your trips so that you combine several stops. Several short trips from cold starts will use more fuel than a longer trip with several stops.
11. Consider purchasing a hybrid or electric vehicle.
12. Explore car sharing or services like Zipcar; lobby for Zipcar service in Reston.